Barley and Black Bean Salad
For a different spin on salad, try this low sodium barley and black bean salad recipe. Lime juice, Monterey Jack cheese, and cilantro pack in flavor with very little cholesterol.
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Sodium: 70mg
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 13g
- 1 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1 can (15 oz) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese or pepper jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch thick cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain barley in a colander, and rinse with cold water until completely cooled.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Add barley to black bean mixture; toss gently. Serve chilled.
Copyright 2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.