Barley Vegetable (Meatless) Ragout
- Calories: 251 Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 156mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 8g Protein: 8g
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package (10 oz) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 large white onion, cut into strips
- 5 fresh plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 small orange bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil leaves, plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in large pot.
- Add barley, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 30 minutes, or until broth is absorbed and barley is tender. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the mushrooms to the barley.
- To the skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until hot. Add the cauliflower and onion and saute for 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the peppers; cover, and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir the barley-mushroom mixture into the vegetable mixture. Add the chopped basil and cheese. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 1 minute more, or until heated through.
- Serve garnished with basil sprigs.
Copyright 2020 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.