Beef Shepherd’s Pie
- Calories: 293
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 401mg
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 19g
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, quartered and peeled
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 Tbsp sherry or red wine
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Black pepper to taste
- Make topping: In a 4-quart saucepan, add the potatoes and cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a colander, drain the potatoes. Return potatoes to pan and mash. Set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk, butter, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Microwave on high for 20 seconds or until butter is melted.
- Add the milk mixture to the potatoes and stir until smooth.
- Add scallions and season with salt and pepper. Stir gently. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the beef and cook until just browned.
- Add the oil to the pan and heat until hot. Add the onions, carrots and mushrooms, and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, thyme, sherry and broth, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Simmer uncovered until the mixture is thick and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Pour the beef mixture into a deep 8-inch baking dish.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes over the beef and place baking dish on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake until the shepherd’s pie is bubbly around the edges, about 30 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Copyright 2020 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.