This delicious blueberry pie has fewer calories than the traditional version, with a single crust and very little added sugar. The “flowers” make a pretty topping and will remind you that spring is just around the corner.
- Calories: 152
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 80mg
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 3/8 tsp salt
- 5 1/2 tbsp trans fat free vegetable shortening
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour, ice water, and vinegar until well blended.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt.
- Cut in shortening with 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add vinegar mixture and toss with a fork until moist.
- Press dough into a disk and chill, covered tightly with plastic wrap, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Cut off one-third of the dough and return the remaining dough to the refrigerator.
- Place the dough third between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Roll the dough out 1/4-inch thick and remove the top layer of paper.
- Use a small flower-shaped cookie cutter to cut out flowers.
- Slide the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Set aside. Keep oven on.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining dough into a circle and press it into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Crimp the edges. With a fork, prick the bottom of the crust a few times. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine blueberries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch. Mix gently until berries are evenly coated.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until crust is golden and filling just begins to bubble.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Top with the baked “flowers.”
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Copyright 2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.