Cauliflower and Leek Soup
The mellow flavors of leeks and cauliflower make this a satisfying soup for lunch or a light dinner. Just a touch of coconut milk gives the soup a creamy texture without a lot of fat.
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 67
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 141mg
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- 2 leeks (dark green stems discarded) coarsely chopped
- 1 medium head cauliflower chopped
- 2 shallots chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 russet potato peeled and chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Black pepper to taste
- Scallions chopped, for garnish
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the leeks, cauliflower, shallots, garlic, olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. On a baking sheet, arrange the vegetable mixture and roast for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- In a large saucepan, combine the roasted vegetables, potato, vegetable broth, coconut milk, thyme and black pepper to taste and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Soup will be thick. Add water to reach desired consistency, if necessary.
- Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), blend the soup until smooth. Season with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste. Garnish with scallions and fresh parsley, if desired.
Copyright 2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.