Here’s a healthy angel food cake recipe that is light and airy. A touch of cocoa powder makes this healthy angel food cake a delicious low-fat chocolate dessert.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 qt strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly coat a 10-inch Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, 3/4 cup of the sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and beat on high until blended.
- Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar while beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually fold in one-third of the flour mixture.
- Fold in remaining flour mixture until blended.
- Pour batter into Bundt pan.
- Tap pan on counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted toward the center comes out clean.
- Cool, inverted, for 1 hour. Run a knife along the sides of the pan and invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt and some strawberries.
- Serving size: 1 1-inch slices
- Per Serving: Calories: 193
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 94mg
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g
Copyright 2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.