Corned Beef and Cabbage
Whether you’re celebrating St. Patrick’s Day or just craving a hearty meat and potatoes dinner, here’s a healthy corned beef and cabbage recipe that the whole family will love.
A generous helping of winter root vegetables makes for a satisfying dinner without an overload of fat. A delicious sour cream mustard sauce brings out the best flavors of the tender corned beef.
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
- Sodium: 577mg
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 30g
- 1 1/2 lbs lean corned beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb small red potatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 large green cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- Lightly coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Sear the corned beef until browned on all sides. Remove from skillet and transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the onions, carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, potatoes, parsley, bay leaves, and peppercorns, and 3 cups of water. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add cabbage to the slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mustard, and sugar. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Slice the meat and serve it over the vegetables with the mustard sauce.
Copyright 2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.