Farmers Market Salad
Think Cobb salad but with the items you bought at the farmer’s market over the weekend. This nutritious farmer market salad makes for a great hearty lunch or light dinner. Crispy green beans and radishes paired nicely with red potatoes. You can also use the extra dressing later in the week to liven up tossed greens.
- Calories: 214
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Sodium: 218mg
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 5g
- 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cups pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3/4 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 4 anchovy fillets
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 red potatoes
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups arugula or watercress
- 1/4 lb cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 2 radishes, sliced thin
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chilled, cut into wedges
- Make the dressing: In a saucepan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and pine nuts and cook about 1 minute, stirring thoroughly.
- Add garlic and cook until translucent, about 30 seconds, continually stirring.
- Stir in parsley, anchovies and black pepper, and cook 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and add remaining olive oil and lemon juice; blend until smooth.
*Note that only 1/4 cup dressing is needed for this recipe. Remaining dressing can be stored, refrigerated, up to 1 week. Reheat in a small saucepan until warm before serving.
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and set aside to cool. On a cutting board, slice potatoes in thin, crosswise slices; set aside.
Blanch green beans:
- In another saucepan, add water and a pinch of salt; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add green beans and cook 3 minutes, until beans are tender-crisp.
- Remove beans with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, add watercress, cherry tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, fennel, radishes and ¼ cup of dressing. Toss gently.
- On a large platter, arrange egg wedges around the outer rim of the platter.
- Stack salad mixture in center of platter.
- Arrange a few sprigs of watercress on top and serve.
Copyright 2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.