These chocolate meringue ice cream sandwiches are light and sweet with low calories. We used raspberry sorbet for the filling, but fat-free frozen yogurt or fat-free ice cream tastes great too. This is an easy dessert recipe to enjoy all summer long.
- 3 oz dark chocolate chips
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/4 cups raspberry sorbet or fat free vanilla frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips on high for 20 seconds, stir, and continue to microwave at 10-second intervals until melted.
- In a bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar and beat with an electric mixer on medium until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla until glossy and thickened, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for 30 seconds more on high speed.
- Lightly fold in the melted chocolate and cocoa. Do not over mix.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of meringue 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until just firm when pressed on top.
- Remove from oven and let stand on baking sheets for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer cookies on parchment paper to wire racks to cool completely.
- Let sorbet soften about 5 minutes. Spread 1 tablespoon sorbet on the flat side of 20 meringues.
- Top with remaining meringues, and freeze sandwiches until sorbet is set, about 15 minutes.
- Sandwiches keep, wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen, for up to 1 week.
- Calories: 54
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Sodium: 14mg
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
Tagsdiabetic, gluten free, heart-healthy
Copyright 2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.