Mediterranean Bean Salad
This healthy Mediterranean bean salad is packed with flavor and great nutrition. High-protein beans, fresh tomatoes and herbs, and healthy olive oil make this Mediterranean bean salad a tasty lunch.
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Per Serving:
- Calories: 233
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Sodium: 299mg
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 8g
- 2 whole wheat pita breads (6-inch diameter), cut or torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pt cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced romaine lettuce
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- On a large baking sheet, arrange pita pieces in one layer. Bake until crisp and just brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, mash garlic and salt to form a paste. In another small bowl, combine garlic paste, lemon juice and cumin and whisk to blend. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Season with black pepper to taste.
- In a serving bowl, combine black beans, chickpeas, tomatoes and cucumber. Add the pita pieces, lettuce, green onions, feta, parsley, mint and the lemon dressing. Toss to mix. Season with additional black pepper to taste.
Copyright 2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.