Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
If you’re looking for a satisfying vegetarian meal, try these quinoa stuffed peppers. These gluten-free stuffed peppers are a hearty dinner entree, packed with quinoa, beans, carrots, and peas.
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Sodium: 181mg
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 11g
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 9 bell peppers, assorted colors
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup diced water chestnuts
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13 x 9–inch glass baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, cook the quinoa in the water for 15 minutes, or until softened. Set aside.
- On a flat work surface, with a sharp knife, cut the tops off 8 bell peppers. Remove the cores and seeds without cutting through peppers.
- Arrange the cored peppers, standing upright, in the prepared baking pan.
- Chop the remaining bell pepper.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Add the black beans, chopped bell pepper, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, water chestnuts, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper and cook until the vegetables are soft and the mixture is heated through, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa, peas, and tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese into the bottom of each pepper.
- Fill peppers with the quinoa mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops of the stuffed peppers with the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake the peppers for 30 minutes, covered with foil.
- Remove foil and bake 15 minutes more, or until peppers are softened and browned.
- Sprinkle with hot sauce, if prefer. Serve immediately.
Copyright 2020 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.