Top Round Roast Beef with Gravy
This low-carb, high-protein roast is perfect for a Sunday dinner. The meat is simmered in a mellow coffee/beef broth mixture for a delicious, juicy roast beef with gravy.
- Calories: 223
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- Sodium: 172mg
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 32g
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 top round roast beef (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, salt, black pepper, and chili powder. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the roast and brown it on all sides. Remove the roast from the pot. Sprinkle the garlic mixture over the roast.
- In the same pot, add the onion and sauté over medium heat until softened.
- Add the beef broth and coffee. Add the browned roast and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the meat is tender and a meat thermometer registers 135° for medium-rare meat, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove the roast from the pot, reserving the cooking juices.
- Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and cold water and stir until smooth.
- Add the beef cooking juices. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir until thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve the roast with the gravy.
Copyright 2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.