If you don’t want to battle with an entire turkey, making a turkey breast is an easy alternative. Plus, a turkey breast is all white meat, a healthier option than higher-fat dark meat. A 6-lb bone-in breast will serve 8 people.
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (6 lbs) skin removed
- 3 Tbsp trans fat free margarine
- 2 garlic cloves minced fine
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tsp salt black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Rinse the turkey breast and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the margarine, garlic, shallot, sage, thyme, salt and pepper to taste and rub the mixture onto the turkey breast.
- Place turkey breast on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast in the middle of the oven until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast registers 165° or juices run clear when a paring knife is poked in the thickest part of breast, about 1 3/4 to 2 hours.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
- Meanwhile, pour the drippings from the roasting pan into a glass cup.
- With a spoon, skim off the fat. ln a small saucepan, heat the drippings over medium heat and stir in flour.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until light brown.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and cider and season with pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until gravy thickens, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the turkey breast with the gravy and garnished with thyme sprigs, if desired.
- Serving size: 4 oz turkey
- Per Serving: Calories: 207
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- Sodium: 441mg
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 34g
Tagsdiabetic, dinner, heart-healthy
Copyright 2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.