In this quick recipe, fresh rhubarb gives sweet blueberries a tart punch of flavor. This easy recipe features salmon, but you can use this compote as a topping for any fish, pork, or chicken.
- 2 large stalks rhubarb trimmed and chopped coarse
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 vanilla bean, split, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 salmon fillets (about 6 oz each)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white peppe
- In a large saucepan, combine all compote ingredients except blueberries and bring to a boil over moderate-high heat.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until rhubarb is tender.
- Transfer to a bowl and, with a slotted spoon, remove vanilla bean. Fold in blueberries and stir to combine well.
- Allow compote to rest until it comes to room temperature.
- Coat grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over high heat.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper, and place in pan; lower to moderate heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- With a spatula, turn salmon fillets and cook another 3 to 4 minutes, until firm and not opaque.
- Transfer to a platter and spoon compote over salmon.
- 6 oz salmon, 1/4 cup compote
- Calories: 269
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 89mg
- Sodium: 191mg
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 35g
TagsClub Red, fish, salmon, seafood
Copyright 2016-2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.