Steak Tacos with Carrot Slaw
East meets West in these tasty Korean beef tacos. Juicy and tender marinated flank steak is topped with a lively ginger carrot slaw.
Carrots are a great source of vitamin A, an essential nutrient in preserving healthy vision and maintaining a strong immune system.
- Calories: 208
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Sodium: 324mg
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 17g
- 2 tbsp sugar plus 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari (gluten free if needed)
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil plus 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice plus 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 lb flank steak, cut across the grain into very thin slices
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and shaved
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or chili paste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed (6-inch each)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- In a large, shallow dish, combine 2 tablespoons of the sugar, soy sauce, white wine, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the flank steak and coat thoroughly in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate the steak for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the vinegar and the remaining 1 teaspoon of the sugar.
- Add the scallions and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots, red pepper flakes, cilantro, the remaining 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, the remaining 1 teaspoon of the lime juice, and ginger. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove steak from marinade, and discard marinade. Grill the steak slices until browned and medium-rare, about 30 seconds per side, or until the desired doneness.
- Divide steak among tortillas and top with carrot mixture and sesame seeds.
Copyright 2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.