Stuffed Acorn Squash
Are you looking for a vegan option for your Thanksgiving spread? This stuffed acorn squash is a delicious alternative for the non-meat eaters on your guest list.
Stuffed with quinoa, apples, walnuts, and cranberries, this roasted acorn squash delivers all the flavors of fall in an impressive, nutritious entrée.
- Calories: 293
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 57mg
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 6g
- 3 acorn squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 red apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp raw pepitas
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut each acorn squash in half crosswise and scoop out seeds and strings.
- Lightly brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on the cut side of the acorn squash halves.
- Arrange squash halves, cut side down, on baking sheets, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven and turn over. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseed meal and water and stir. Let rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a saucepan, cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, apple, and walnuts for 10 minutes, or until the onions are softened.
- Add the maple syrup, dried cranberries, pepitas, parsley, sage, thyme, walnuts, salt, and black pepper and stir to combine. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the cooked quinoa and stir to combine.
- Add the flax mixture and gently stir until combined.
- Spoon stuffing mixture into each squash half.
- Arrange on a prepared baking sheet and cover each squash with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the squash is soft and just golden.
Copyright 2020 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.