This Southern succotash is filled with some favorites like black-eyed peas and okra. It will spark up meat, chicken or fish dinners anytime of year. A 1/2-cup serving is packed with fiber and protein.
- Calories: 116
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 50mg
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 5g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 ears corn kernels cut off and cobs discarded
- 2 large jalapeño peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup baby lima beans (fresh, or frozen and thawed)
- 1 cup black-eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 lb okra cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 lb cherry tomatoes (1 pint) halved
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce or to taste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in corn, jalapeños, lima beans, black-eyed peas, okra and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, basil, hot sauce, salt and black pepper to taste. Serve warm or chilled.
Copyright 2018 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.