Sweet Potato Pie
This southern sweet potato pie is made with less sugar and eggs than traditional sweet potato pie. It’s light, easy, creamy, and delicious.
- Calories: 146
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 161mg
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup fat free evaporated milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 (9-inch each) prepared pie shell, unbaked
- 1/4 cup fat free whipped topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and salt.
- Add the egg yolk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon; mix well.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and milk and mix to combine well.
- With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold half of the egg whites into the sweet potato mixture until combined.
- Fold in the remaining half of the egg whites until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool before serving.
- Pie can be made in advance and kept covered and chilled.
- Serve topped with a dollop of whipped topping and lemon zest for garnish, if desired.
Copyright 2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.