After the holidays, when you’re tired of cooking and tired of turkey, switch things up with this spicy turkey posole. Get a delicious second meal out of leftover turkey or chicken in this easy stew recipe that is full of Mexican flavors.
- Calories: 124
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Sodium: 595mg
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 12g
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, sauce only
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth (gluten free if needed)
- 2 cans white or yellow hominy
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Diced avocado, for garnish
- Thinly sliced radish, for garnish
- Baked tortilla chips, for garnish
- In a 5-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook for 1 minute, then add tomato paste, chipotle in adobo sauce, and epazote or oregano; cook, stirring constantly, until evenly distributed.
- Add 1 cup water, 2 of cans chicken broth and 1 can hominy. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer.
- In a blender or food processor, add remaining 1 can of chicken broth and the remaining 1 can of hominy and process until smooth.
- Transfer hominy puree to the saucepan and cook for about 30 minutes.
- To the saucepan, add shredded turkey or chicken and cilantro; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook until heated through.
- To serve, divide among soup bowls, and garnish as desired.
Copyright 2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.