Valentine Beet Waffles
Show someone how much you care with a healthy Valentine’s Day breakfast, packed with nutrition and a lot of love. Enjoy the protein and fiber powerhouse combo in this delicious beet waffle mix.
- Calories: 418
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Sodium: 474mg
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 14g
- 1 1/3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup chopped cooked beets (about 3)
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- In a blender, combine the milk, beets, and food coloring (if using). Blend until smooth.
- While the blender is running, add the eggs, oil, and vanilla; blend until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the beet mixture and stir until just combined.
- Preheat waffle iron and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour about 1/2 cup batter for each waffle; cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions until waffles are crisp.
- Top waffles with a dollop of yogurt, blueberries, and a dusting of cinnamon.
- Serve with maple syrup, if desired.