Ever wonder what your doctor or health provider does outside the exam room? Our 7 Quick Questions series gives you a personal glimpse into the people of UVA.
J. Kim Penberthy, PhD, grew up in the beautiful hills of Lewisburg, WV. She joined UVA’s Department of Psychiatry & Neurobehavioral Sciences in 2000.
1. What did you want to be when you were little?
I wanted to be a ballerina and an astronaut!
2. What’s your favorite place to travel?
I love to travel to foreign countries where I do not speak the language! I love China and Germany the most.
2. What’s your favorite thing about Charlottesville?
The people and energy of the college.
3. What’s the most unhealthy thing you eat?
I love peanut butter filled pretzels!
4. What’s the most exciting thing/research happening in your field right now?
Promoting light boxes to help treat cancer related fatigue.
5. Why did you choose your specialty?
I love people and love to hear their stories and help them solve their problems.
6. What’s your favorite thing about working at UVA?
The wonderful people I work with and get to help.
7. Who’s your inspiration/hero?
My mother, definitely! She was a nurse, a wonderful listener and wise, wise woman. I miss her!